Formal Coaching Cycle
My goal for the rest of the school year is to find a couple teachers that are interested in a formal coaching cycle. This would be a 4-6 week cycle focused on improving instruction in one area. We would meet weekly to plan together. Co-teaching, modeling, observation, video-taping are all options during this coaching cycle.
What will our initial coaching meeting look like and include?
Two Purposes of Initial Coaching Meeting:
1. Identify focus area and goal for upcoming coaching cycle.
2. Review coaching cycle logistics.
Part 1 - Coaching Focus:
1. What are you thinking you would like to focus on during this coaching cycle?
2. Discussion about students.
*How would you describe your students as learners in this focus area?
*What are your hopes for students in this area?
*What standards will you focus on? Are there specific standards that seem tricky for your students?
Part 2 - Strategies for Coaching and Collaboration:
1. Our coaching cycle will last 4-6 weeks. We will meet weekly to plan. When is the best time to meet for 30-45 minutes each week?
2. For classroom visits, I plan on coming in 2 times per week with a short debrief after my visit. This will allow you to reflect on your instruction and time for me to give timely feedback.
3. We will use Google Docs to track our progress and record our work.
Part 3 - Meeting the Teacher's Needs:
1. Do you have any questions or concerns about the coaching cycle?
2. Is there anything you want me to be sure to do as your coach or is there anything you would like me to know about you or your processing style?
Please let me know if you are interested in a formal coaching cycle. I would love to work with you and your students!!
Here is a sample Initial Coaching Meeting: